Strategic Planning and Community Engagement
Facilities Needs Committee
In 2022, the district completed an update to its Facilities Master Plan, which identified the need for a second high school as a priority. The Master Plan calls for:
- Past and present facilities projects;
- Student enrollment figures and projections;
- Community development;
- Facility capacity;
- Constructing a new high school;
- Improvements to Hollister High School;
- Facility funding plans; and
- Objectives moving forward.
In addition, a Facilities Needs Committee was convened in October 2022 . The committee met eight times and presented its final report to the Board of Trustees in May 2023 calling for the construction of a second high school.
K – 8th Grade Listening Sessions
During the Fall of 2023, district leaders met with community stakeholders to collect feedback about priorities for a second high school. The top priorities identified were:
- Space, ease, comfort and quality
- Equitable opportunities for student excellence;
- A safe and welcoming school culture;
- Natural beauty;
- Community connection and positive impact; and
- Future readiness and fiscal responsibility.
Community Town Hall
On January 18, 2024, the community was invited to a unique opportunity to provide design input on a second high school in the San Benito High School District during an English-language town at Hollister High School. A Spanish-language session was held on January 31. HMC Architects guided the hands-on discussion and activities in the school library.
Board of Trustees adopts Facilities Master Plan calling for a second high school
- Updates to the Facilities Master Plan
- Facilities Needs Committee Established
- Rounding cycles of public feedback completed
- Board of Trustees approves agreement with an environmental consulting group, construction company and architectural firm
- Facilities Needs Committee presents their final report
- Town Hall and elementary site visits
- Town Hall meetings in January and June
- Ongoing committee meetings